2016 has been a very exciting year for the Chem-E-Car team. We have presented our work in more than 7 conferences, with topics ranging from the clean energy industry (Generate 2016) to chemical engineering innovation (CHBE Engineering Research Day). From these events, we have won 5 different awards. Notably, we placed 1st among 41 teams from all over the world for our poster presentation at the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2016 Student Conference in San Francisco.
In addition to our successes in these events, the team has also progressed and grown immensely. From a small group of 5 students just two years ago, the team has developed to a 40+ member organization. Aside from our Chem-E-Car activities, we have also started working on two more projects including a rechargeable microgrid system, and an integrated hardware/software beer brewing app for the AIChE National App Competition. To accommodate increasing student interests in our projects, we have streamlined our organizational structure and established a very dedicated and passionate junior Chem-E-Car team. We intend to send two cars to compete in the 2017 Pacific Northwest Regionals Chem-E-Car Competition.
Our equipment has also been upgraded thanks to an extremely generous donation from our Exclusive Diamond Sponsor, the Daniel Family Foundation. We would also like to thank: Precision NanoSystems, BotFeeder, MG Chemicals, Digital Ocean, FortisBC, and CHBE for all of their support.
The 2016-2017 period promises to be extremely exciting for Chem-E-Car as we have been invited to compete as the representatives of Canada at the
10th Annual World Chemical Engineering Congress to be held in Barcelona.
- 2017 CHBE Engineering Research Day - Best Presentation (Beer Brewing Automation Project)
- 2016 AIChE Nationals Chem-E-Car Poster Competition (San Francisco, 1st Place)
- 2016 UBC SPE Student Chapter LNG Case Competition (2nd Place)
- 2016 AIChE Pacific Northwest Regionals Chem-E-Car Poster Presentation (1st Place)
- 2016 AIChE Pacific Northwest Regionals Chem-E-Car Competition (2nd Place, Qualified for Nationals)
- 2016 CHBE Engineering Research Day - Best Presentation (Undergraduate Design Team Category)
- 2015 LNG in BC Conference - First Runner-up (Innovation Engineering Poster Presentation)
Events and Outreach Programs
- 2016 Clean Energy in BC: Generate Conference - Poster Presentations on Zinc-Air Batteries and Biofuels (November 2016)
- 2016 IMechE President (Jon Hilton) Campus Tour and Luncheon Session - UBC Mech Department invitation (June 2016)
- 2016 IEEE PEDG Conference 2016 - Invitation for Student Team Exhibition on Renewable Energy (June 2016)
- 2016 Vancouver Mini Maker Faire at the PNE - Exhibitor (June 2016)
- 2016 UBC Golf Tournament Invitation Dinner - Sponsor Appreciation
- 2016 Sponsor Appreciation Night for Engineering Design Teams
- 2016 CHBE Research Day Poster Presentation and Podium Presentation for undergraduate design teams
- 2016 ACEC Transportation Conference Presentation
- 2016 General Motors campus tour presentation - meet and greet
- 2016 Geering Up! Presentation - demos and hands-on activities for campers
- 2016 CHBE Open House for prospective first year engineering students
- 2015 EG-Fest at the Vancouver Public Library - Invited by APEGBC
- 2015 International BC in LNG Conference - Innovation Engineering Presentation
- 2015 APSC Open House for prospective UBC Engineering students
- 2015 UBC Imagine Day exhibition for first year students
- 2015 UBC Jump Start - Engineering Design Team Introductions